Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 02:18:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Welcome to Detroit Horsepower...... the home of real American Musclecars. Proudly Sponsored by;

Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  SuperCar Dealers/Converters  |  Nickey Chevrolet/Bill Thomas Race cars  |  Topic: 1970 427 Nova SS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1970 427 Nova SS  (Read 8828 times)
leach

1970 427 Nova SS
« on: May 11, 2005, 07:26:35 am »

:scrw)Does anyone know of 1970 Nova SS 427 Cortez Silver that raced under the name of the Wrecker back in 1970-1971 in the Chicago area or any info on this car that was made by either Nickey, Gibb, Harrel or Motion at that time frame any info would help. Car has complete Lakewood drag package still on car for over 25 years. Have pictures from 1976 Skrewy
Report to moderator   Logged
Clint_69
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

The ultimate Super Stock Fan!

Re: 1970 427 Nova SS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:44:35 am »

I had the opportunity to buy the car several months ago for 25k. I did extensive research on the car and came to the conclusion that the car is not a Nickey. As a matter of fact, I was able to run an NICB and determined that the car was sold new in Canada. That is not to say that the car did not have work done at Nickey at some time or have parts sold through their performance shop but the car still has no paper. I told the owner where the car was sold new. The name of the dealer was Ray Ferguson in Ontario. 
427-king
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:23:13 am »

Leach,Didnt that car race the "misfit" camaro  in the late 70s??
Stefano
All

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:26:43 am »

That is not to say that the car did not have work done at Nickey at some time or have parts sold through their performance shop but the car still has no paper. I told the owner where the car was sold new. The name of the dealer was Ray Ferguson in Ontario. 

Research and previous owners have turned up docs which indicate that this Nova did spend time at Nickey and did have  performance work done there.

Not Converted as new, but a very cool day two car. The car is currently being restored to day two specs.
leach

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:51:58 am »

Drool Update car has been verified by Don Swaitek who ran the engine building at Nickey Chevrolet and the 427 engine and speed equipment was placed in the car in Feb. 1970 and 396 was removed when car only had 500 miles on the car. The person who wrote that he saw the car at the track racing the misfit does he have pictures of that so I can get it for at shows when it is finished.  Grin
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

Cocked, locked, and ready to ROCK!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 07:41:57 am »

How can that car be "documented" when myself and others originally called on it there was not one piece of paperwork verifying the car ever being modified by Nickey at any point in time. How can Don verify a car that wasn't sold new at Nickey without having any paperwork from Nickey? Did this paperwork all of a sudden appear from a previous owner? If so great. What kind of documentation was provided to Don to verify it? Just curious........................RatPack...................................

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
leach

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 09:04:04 am »

How can that car be "documented" when myself and others originally called on it there was not one piece of paperwork verifying the car ever being modified by Nickey at any point in time. How can Don verify a car that wasn't sold new at Nickey without having any paperwork from Nickey? Did this paperwork all of a sudden appear from a previous owner? If so great. What kind of documentation was provided to Don to verify it? Just curious........................RatPack...................................
   I sent Don Swaitek about 200 pieces of paperwork that was sent to me from the guy I bought car from and also went and got notarized letter from guy who took it to Nickey to have the engine and speed equipment installed along with bill os sales from back then with all the info on them about how it was converted at Nickey. The guy who was selling the car had all over 300 pieces of paperwork that was given to him where car was serviced and worked on at Nickey Chevrolet, Speed Service Inc., Mallory Ignition, The Performance shop, Glenview Radiator Service, Grand Automotive, Davis Automotive, Auto Meter, Auto Marine Performance, Ericson Speed Service, Z Frank Chevrolet, North End Auto Supply, paperwork with Don Swaiteks name on it when engine was done and much more including old tittles & registration. All this came along with the car when I got it back in Mar. of 2005. I sent all copies to Stefano Bimbi back then and he said he would not release any info untill Don got finished with investigation which took 5 months.
leach

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 09:12:28 am »

I sent Don Swaitek about 200 pieces of paperwork that was sent to me from the guy I bought car from and also went and got notarized letter from guy who took it to Nickey to have the engine and speed equipment installed along with bill os sales from back then with all the info on them about how it was converted at Nickey. The guy who was selling the car had all over 300 pieces of paperwork that was given to him where car was serviced and worked on at Nickey Chevrolet, Speed Service Inc., Mallory Ignition, The Performance shop, Glenview Radiator Service, Grand Automotive, Davis Automotive, Auto Meter, Auto Marine Performance, Ericson Speed Service, Z Frank Chevrolet, North End Auto Supply, paperwork with Don Swaiteks name on it when engine was done and much more including old tittles & registration. All this came along with the car when I got it back in Mar. of 2005. I sent all copies to Stefano Bimbi back then and he said he would not release any info untill Don got finished with investigation which took 5 months.
I forgot to put in the other quote that the car was not sold new at Nickey Chevrolet but taken to them to take out the 396 and put the 427 engine and speed equipment in to race that is the way the paperwork from Don Swaitek is worded that it was converted there even though this is a very rare car raced it's whole life after the first 500 miles. The guy never told me when I was buying it what paperwork he had just that he had a whole older folder with all kind of papers that went along with the car.
leach

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 09:40:59 am »

I forgot to put in the other quote that the car was not sold new at Nickey Chevrolet but taken to them to take out the 396 and put the 427 engine and speed equipment in to race that is the way the paperwork from Don Swaitek is worded that it was converted there even though this is a very rare car raced it's whole life after the first 500 miles. The guy never told me when I was buying it what paperwork he had just that he had a whole older folder with all kind of papers that went along with the car.
Don Swaitek has all the peoples names in his hands from all the engines and speed equipment that were installed atNickey Chevrolet that is what he goes by along with everything else that you supply him since he was the High Performance Manager.
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 01:20:01 pm »

QUOTE: Don Swaitek has all the peoples names in his hands from all the engines and speed equipment that were installed atNickey Chevrolet that is what he goes by along with everything else that you supply him since he was the High Performance Manager.

Thats great after 35 years there now appears to be a huge lot of original Nickey paperwork.Is there vin list that we can check if we find a possible Nickey now?I'm excited.

COPO9737
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:01 pm »

congrats on the rare find. Can't beat good documentation Wink
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 07:56:27 pm »

That is great news that there is possibly a "list of names" for the engines installed at Nickey Chevrolet. Like Tim asked, is there a list of the vins that these parts can be connected to, or are they just sales receipts showing the purchasers name? There are a lot of those out there as I have many in my possession.

I wonder why  the seller failed to mention any of the 300 pieces of paperwork to anyone that inquired about the car when it was for sale last year as the car would have been snatched up very quickly and would have been worth a lot more money than he was asking. Sorta makes you go hmmmmm? Scratch Chin Scratch Chin Scratch Chin...................RatPack...........................

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
leach

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 06:27:21 am »

Cool   I think that the man selling the 1970 Nova was so consentrated on moving to Hawaii that he did not tell people about all the paperwork he got in the mail from the 3rd owner who bought it off the guy who took it to Nickey to have it converted. I know that he was sending letters to the 2nd, 3rd & 4th owners doing research on the car because alot of the stuff was in the old folder envelope along with all kind of registration stuff from the owners since the 3rd owners father was an accountant he saved everything when ever he serviced and set the car up for racing including all receipts from speed shops. I have been in touch with all 3 of them and more paperwork and pictures are coming along with time slips. I know that Gary the guy was funny because it took me awhile to finally buy the car from him but I am glad that I did if you give me your e-mail I will send you pictures of different things mine is nickey427nova@earthlink.net I have nothing to hide I did everything by the book and did not shoot my mouth off in the beginning even though I knew what I had bought and just wanted to have it verified by Don Swaitek. I sent Stefano Bimbi in the early stakes alot of pictures of the paperwork I had and he was good enough not to release any of it to anybody. I was offered a good sum of money then and I am restoring it to take to shows and racing events so people can enjoy seeing and talking about the car.   Wink
leach

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 08:10:17 am »

Just trying to put picture on trying don't know how first time doing

* scan1.jpg (232.15 KB, 824x780 - viewed 1287 times.)
leach

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 08:14:27 am »

Here is picture of engine

* scan5.jpg (309.18 KB, 988x684 - viewed 1282 times.)
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 08:29:59 am »

Any other engine compartment pictures.

leach

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 08:42:51 am »

This engine was put in 1974 to replace original engine when car changed hands the original man kept engine trans to use in Camaro for racing this is a 1966 427-425 super high perforance out of Impala rare motor but I am in the process of getting correct L88 as was insatalled back in 1970. The man thought he was buying 1969 but bought the 1966 according to serial of engine

* 427 engine bought.jpg (115.06 KB, 938x519 - viewed 1249 times.)
leach

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 09:13:00 am »

Car as it came out of 25 year storage.

* 25 year storage.jpg (83.33 KB, 786x518 - viewed 1333 times.)
jrsully
All

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 05:12:06 pm »

I love how there are multiple holes drilled above the fender marker light for various engine designations.! Good luck with the project, should share it on Steve's Nova site.
leach

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 05:28:08 pm »

Yes you can see the holes where the 396 emblems were and see where the 427 emblems were put on after conversion at Nickey. The original emblems were in the trunk and fit right in the holes perfect at Mikes shop no mistaking what they did. Grin
leach

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 05:48:22 am »

Here is the 1966 Impala 427/425HP motor the the 3rd owner installed in 1974 to replace the 427 that the 2nd owner had installed at Nickey and kept. Mike is in the process of building correct motor to put back in and this block and matching high performace heads will be sold in excellant shape.

* 1966 Impala 427 Motor.jpg (393.75 KB, 1274x1213 - viewed 1196 times.)
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 06:36:39 am »

While all the 74 info is great what Nickey paperwork from 70 do you have? That would be neat to see.

leach

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 06:55:53 am »

I have paperwork from 1970 on up but will not print it on here due to people trying to copy and valsefy the documents for making clones as warned by Don Swaitek and other members and will be displayed at different shows when car is done.  Lips Sealed
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 08:35:38 am »

Wait a second, making fake documentation, that shouldn't matter anymore since "
Don Swaitek has all the peoples names in his hands from all the engines and speed equipment that were installed atNickey Chevrolet that is what he goes by along with everything else that you supply him since he was the High Performance Manager."
  You can post pieces of the information without showing the entire document. Just show some of it with the vin# of your car with the work order date and the work performed. That would take some doubt that seems to be surrounding the legitamacy of this Nova as being modified in 1970 by Nickey............RatPack................................

leach

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 09:50:46 am »

For the one cry baby I have covered up names of people who sold the car twice from guy who converted it I sent other copies to  Clint 69 moderator who has seen more than you will get if you want to tak to him this is all you get for now.

* Sold 1.jpg (183.64 KB, 1274x1516 - viewed 1130 times.)
leach

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 09:51:46 am »

Sold number 2

* sold 2.jpg (166.44 KB, 1274x1753 - viewed 1128 times.)
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 10:11:11 am »

Barry maybe there's a missunderstanding about THIS website.Posting your car here does not verify it as a Nickey.Original paperwork does.And if you have a problem with a member here asking to see NICKEY paperwork on this car and you are unwilling to produce it then maybe this isn't the website to make a claim that it is.I am curious as to why you haven't posted your find on www.yenko.net that's the SUPERCAR site Steve is associated with. I have paperwork from all dealers and I haven't made up any cars. There were about 8 members here that contacted the previous owner before you and we all got the same response."I have no documentation on this car".So now you see the dilema.

Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 12:26:04 pm »

For the one cry baby I have covered up names of people who sold the car twice from guy who converted it I sent other copies to Clint 69 moderator who has seen more than you will get if you want to tak to him this is all you get for now.

LOL LOL LOL I believe the last time I was called a "cry baby" was in the 1st grade and I beat the crap out of those two kids, never heard it after that for some reason. However, where is the NICKEY paperwork? Deal  All I see is more "Waffle House" receipts. You are trying to authenticate a Nickey converted Nova on this website, as Tim stated you have yet to post your great find on the supercar website, or even over at Steve's Nova website. Why not? The guys on the Nova site are a great source of information, the supercar website might want some more verification other than what has been provided from you or the "certification expert" before they buy the story. Have a nice day! Grin......................RatPack..................

leach

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 12:38:57 pm »

I just posted it on Yenko site but could not figure out how to add pictures sent them to yenko site so that maybe they can put them on. I know that you keep hammering me but I have certification from manager of the engine building dept. at Nickey Chevrolet Don Swaiteck that they installed the engine in the car that is all need to show anyone on this car besides what else I have what documentation do you have on your Bill Thomas car. Cool
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 12:45:32 pm »

Have Stefano give you a copy of the Winter 2005  issue of Musclecar Review and read the 4 page article on the car. You will see the documentation I have like the rest of the world did. Never made up stories about my car..................RatPack.......................

68L35SS
All

Beeline Dragway HOME OF THE AHRA WINTERNATIONALS

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 05:47:22 pm »

Huh I see it turns out that no paperwork exists for the motor change at Nickey. Also I noticed that no currently found Nickey cars have any paperwork either. Just hearsay and "signed affidavits". Since when did " signed affidavits" take the place of actual bonafide dealer paperwork?
Bill
day2nova
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 07:47:48 am »

I'm very confused...and more so after reading the Chicago tribune article.

You say the car was converted in Feb. 1970 by the second owner who bought the car from the first owner ,wrecker/bananna who died in the elevator fire. However, the elevator fire did not happen until 1973.

Here is what you wrote:

"I bought the 1970 Nova SS 427 which was converted at Nickey Chevrolet in Feb. 1970 with the drag package and engine by the 2nd owner who bought the car with 500 miles on it from the wife of the man who died in the elevator fire while building the Sears Tower in Chicago."

and this:

"to replace the 427 that the 2nd owner had installed at Nickey and kept."

Did the 2nd owner buy it from "wrecker" before he died and if so why did you say he bought it fom his wife (see above)??  I take it when you said that it meant he died and she was settling his estate. You also said on another site "Wrecker" raced the car in 1970 and 1971. If that's the case then how did the 2nd owner have Nickey do the conversion in Feb 1970???

I may be dense at times and I did go to publik screwal  so please help me out here. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  SuperCar Dealers/Converters  |  Nickey Chevrolet/Bill Thomas Race cars  |  Topic: 1970 427 Nova SS « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length