Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 03:27:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Welcome to Detroit Horsepower...... the home of real American Musclecars. Proudly Sponsored by;

Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  SuperCar Dealers/Converters  |  Yenko Chevrolet/Yunick  |  Topic: Smokey Yunick 68 Camaro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smokey Yunick 68 Camaro  (Read 3756 times)
Scott Rabbit
Detroit Horsepower Admin.
Administrator
Full time GURU

Modified? no........... Personalized? YES !!!!

Smokey Yunick 68 Camaro
« on: January 04, 2004, 03:27:48 pm »

Dan is gonna fill us in on this. Right Dan?

Report to moderator   Logged

Those that can't lead must always get the HECK out of the way and resort to follow.
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
Re: Smokey Yunick 68 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 04:36:33 pm »

This picture was of Smokey Yunicks 68 Camaro at Sebring in 1968,driver for Smokey was Lloyd Ruby.This car went on to be Don Yenkos 68 Camaro that was painted white with 2 thin blue stripes.I believe this car is in the hands of Vic Edelbrock now. Dan
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
Re:Smokey Yunick 68 Camaro
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 04:25:02 pm »

Matt,The Grossman/Yenko 1969 Camaro that started as red,then went to white,then went to orange was built for Bob Grossman using 2 Camaros.67,68 found in a Junk yard in NJ.Randy,of Randys Auto Body then made it into a 69 using quarters and front end from a 69.Randy was real good at his trade,did Ferraris,Jaguars for Bob Grossman who owned a Jaguar Dealership in West Nyack NY. Dan
EMOTION
All

Musclecar Enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 04:52:53 am »

The article is absolutely correct in that the original owner of My 68 396/375hp Camaro knew Smokey Yunick, Bill Jenkins, Wally Booth and others. He was an R/D enginner for GM who worked on the Mark IV engines from the beginning and consulted for these people. He was heavy into the drag racing scene also at the time and campaigned this car to a stock record at Detroit Dragway as documented even itn the Detroit Free Press. This gentleman went on to teach Automotive Power which has a connection with GM in Detriot.
JoeC
All

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 08:15:38 am »

There were at least two Smokey Yunick Camaros that look like 68s. Don won the Citrus 250 in 1969 with one and the other Yunick Camaro was in the same race. There is another article where Smokey took 3 Camaros to Bonneville Salt flats in 68 and set high speed records. Smokey sold them late 68 when he went to work for Ford for a short time.
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 08:30:27 am »

If you noticed theres no vent windows on the doors,still could of been  67,they changed these out sometimes.Hey EMOTION,I heard Wally Booth is still alive and living in Michigan,is that true? Walley was originally from down south I believe.....Dan
JL8Jeff
All

All my vehicles are modified

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 08:41:43 am »

It's hard to tell in the picture, but I don't see any side marker lights on the front fender so it could be the 67 body with the 68 grill and doors added.  Anybody have a better picture of the car?

69 Z28, documented JL8 with crossram, TI, heater & radio delete, Minilite wheels, Stahl race headers-being restored
70 Camaro L78 Canadian car
00 Camaro SS
JoeC
All

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 12:06:21 pm »

In one picture of Yenko's race car there is a vent window on pass side and no vent window on Dr side. Race cars may have parts from many sources.
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 12:34:25 pm »

There was a book put out by Martyn Schorr in 1982 called QuickSilver Supercar Series " Chevrolet" and i it some very interesting pictures.On page 36 it shows the 68 (might originally  be a 67) Don Yenko Camaro,white with 2 thin blue stripes on it,strobe light in the center of the roof,FLAT with 3 hood pins and tops of fender dark in color,probably blue also to match stripes (pictures are Black and white but takes up half the page).Anyway you can see NO vent windows on this car,you can see Best Photo as sponser ,rear spoiler and number 11 on door,hood and rear deck. Now theres a second Camaro that takes up the other half of the page 67 or 68 Camaro No vent windows.This was sponsered by Jim Rathmann Chevrolet with the number 25 on it.Also has the flat hood with the 3 hood pins in the same location as the Don Yenko Camaro.Also has rear spoiler.Looks identical to the Don Yenko ex Smokey Yunick except for color.Could this be the another Camaro set up by Smokey Yunick???   Shocked Dan
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 02:31:13 pm »

Dan now your going to have to start copywriting your info. Grin Grin Grin

never catch me no matter how much coin you spend .... ....
Scott Rabbit
Detroit Horsepower Admin.
Administrator
Full time GURU

Modified? no........... Personalized? YES !!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 09:40:39 pm »

Here is the picture again that Dan is talking about with the pass. side vent window and none on driver side.

Those that can't lead must always get the HECK out of the way and resort to follow.
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 10:41:36 pm »

Scott,Thanks for posting that,thats the 1969 Bob Grossman/Don Yenko Camaro Sponsered in this race by Marlbank Racing Team of Ft Lauderdale Florida.Owner of Marlbank was Mamie Gregory Reynolds,Of RJ Reynolds Tobacco.This car looks like a 69 but the original body was a 67 or 68 with 69 Nose,69 tail panel and 69 quarters.This was told to me by Randy R of Randys Auto Body who built it.The persons house I went over on Monday that owns the 70 454 JL8 Camaro showed me another picture of this car that I never saw. It showed it with a 67 ,68 rear bumper,later it must of been changed to the 69 style.This was probably taken at the first race when Randys Auto Body was the Sponser.It also said Randy's Rascal on the front fenders,never saw that before!!Bob Grossman and Bob Dini were the first pair of drivers to drive this car.   Cheesy Dan
JoeC
All

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 04:46:11 am »

That picture looks like its from Daytona 1970 when the car was blue and white. I think they ran the 302 at Daytona. I have a picture of this car at Sebring 1970 where it ran the ZL1 engine. Sebring 1969 it was red #5 and also ran the ZL1. I remember reading about the red ZL1 engine car about 10 years ago and thought it was a typo in the magazine. Then I read it again in another old magazine. I ask around at Lime Rock vintage TA race every year but nobody knew anything about it. I met Yenko mechanic who worked on it and he confirmed it was a ZL1 engine and was very fast. I haven't looked at my info in years but I think it blew up at Sebring in 69 but finished in 70.
On the 70 Camaro....There was a post years ago on team camaro when the guy bought the car from Smokey. If I remember right, had pictures of him picking it up in pieces on open trailer. I was curious about the hood to see if it was like one I bought from Jenkins because I have a 1970 steel cowl induction hood prototype from chevy engineering given to Grumpy in late 69. Grumpy said mine was only one to survive. I have a large collection of Yenko racing items been collecting since 1986.
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 06:58:55 am »

Joe,I remembered what you told me about the 70 Cowel hood you bought from Jenkins when I discussed the 70 Camaro on Monday with the owner.This one is not the same as yours,seems it has something built into the bottom of the hood,it's a flat hood.Yours seems to be the only factory made 70 Cowel hood for Camaro!!  Cheesy Dan
JL8Jeff
All

All my vehicles are modified

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 04:29:55 pm »

But that 1 and only factory cowl hood would be an awesome piece for the 1 and only 70 454 JL8 car made!  It's cool finding how these cars and parts were actually made and snuck out the back door but still survive today.

69 Z28, documented JL8 with crossram, TI, heater & radio delete, Minilite wheels, Stahl race headers-being restored
70 Camaro L78 Canadian car
00 Camaro SS
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 05:05:37 pm »

Jeff,and this is only the tip of the iceberge,were all still learning about what happened back then!! Grin Dan
Dale Pulde

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 10:53:01 pm »

I see this Camaro every week at Edelbrock. It has a big notebook with it. They have it racing a Mustang in the pictures. Vic also has the Mustang. They are not sure if it is a 67 or 68 it is sort of a mix of the 2.
3 bolt in door hinge is an add on. Car is really a neat car.   Dale
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 06:43:30 am »

Dale I'm sending you a shipping label with my address, see a big box slap it on . Grin

never catch me no matter how much coin you spend .... ....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  SuperCar Dealers/Converters  |  Yenko Chevrolet/Yunick  |  Topic: Smokey Yunick 68 Camaro « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length