Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:31:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Welcome to Detroit Horsepower...... the home of real American Musclecars. Proudly Sponsored by;

Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  Musclecars  |  Super Stock / Funny Cars (60's-70's) Info.  |  Topic: Grumpy's 70 Camaro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grumpy's 70 Camaro  (Read 24469 times)
day2nova
All
Full time GURU

Grumpy's 70 Camaro
« on: April 15, 2006, 07:05:19 pm »

How many 70-73 style† Camaro's† did Grumpy campaign? Did he have other Camaros in 71, 72† and 73?† I have a Chevy Action or SSDI† mag(can't rememebr which one-I'll need to find the article and post it) circa 1974 that briefly talks about Rickie Zul's P/S Camaro and the article says it was the ex Grumpy Camaro that was rebodied to 74 sheetmetal by Zul. The 74 qtrs are different from a 70-73 because of the big bumper and wrap around talights. Zul did not go the cheap way out and just replace the front end but he also replaced the qtrs and rear bumper.

I seen many pics when Zul ran the camaro in the 70-73 style trim and also the 74 trim.

How many 70-73 style camaros did Grumpy run in Super Stock as well as P/S?
Report to moderator   Logged
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

Cocked, locked, and ready to ROCK!!!

Re: Grumpy's 70 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 08:06:06 am »

Dave, he had only two of the 70-73 Camaro bodied cars: the car he drove which he later sold to Richie Zul and it was made into a 74 model with the quarter panels and tailpanel being changed. It was severely cut up after Zul had it as the car was a "tube chassis" car. I believe the only thing that was salvagable was the roof, rockers, and top of the firewall but I am not 100% sure. The car was very rough and for it to turn out that good with factory spot welds and all on the underside is amazing restoration work. Beautiful job!!!

The other car was driven by Dave Strickler and I think it was a full bumper car instead of the split bumper. This car may have been the first one Jenkins campaigned as the one pictured on the cover of Hot Rod shows a Grumpy's Toy 70 Camaro with the standard front end (parking lights below the bumper) but with the RS split bumpers on it and in the normal Grump paint scheme. That is unless they changed the front header panel and grill to the RS stuff after the magazine article and Dave's car was another car altogether. Stricklers car had a different hood and there was a long stripe on each side of the car that started at the tops of the rear 1/4 panels ran up the c-pillar, along the drip rail to the center of the roof, and then picked back up on the hood. Both cars ran in Pro Stock for the 70/71 years and then I don't know what became of Stricklers car. Here are a few pictures that I bought years ago from a private collection up north showing Stricklers car...........................RatPack..............................

* Strickler 70 camaro001a.JPG (50.35 KB, 700x468 - viewed 3550 times.)

* Strickler 70 camaro002a.JPG (54.52 KB, 700x473 - viewed 3554 times.)

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
JL8Jeff
All

All my vehicles are modified

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:05:30 am »

So the car that Mike has pictured with Grumpy is the 70 that was rebodied as a 74 that Ritchie Zul raced?  It has since been saved and restored back to it's original 70 body? 

69 Z28, documented JL8 with crossram, TI, heater & radio delete, Minilite wheels, Stahl race headers-being restored
70 Camaro L78 Canadian car
00 Camaro SS
day2nova
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:33:16 am »

There was a car on ebay 3-4 years ago or so for 100K that the guy said was grumpy's 70 car. I believe this was the car Mike bought later† I don't think it sold on ebay-did not meet reserve or something.† If† if I remember correctly the car was just a shell with a roll cage I believe. The previous owner started restoration on it† as  it had the 70-73 style qtrs put back on it.

Rat Pack thanks for clarifying. I had seen Grumpys car in various forms and did not know how many cars were run.  I have not seen Mikes car in person but from the pics he did a beautiful† job on it.† It looks very nice.
JL8Jeff
All

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:17:02 am »

That's right, I remember now.  So was this the guy in Baltimore that had it on Ebay?  Boy, that would be one tough car to id with the original firewall, floors and front end cut out of it.  Did the 2nd gen cars get a partial Vin stamped into the frame somewhere?

69 Z28, documented JL8 with crossram, TI, heater & radio delete, Minilite wheels, Stahl race headers-being restored
00 Camaro SS
day2nova
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:54:19 am »

Jeff
I think the guy did post on ebay that he had† documentation from Grumpy saying the car he had was the original car. † I don't think there would be any identification marks as the car was probably sold to grumpy without title and† sold as a body in white.
I presume the car was traced back through either† prior ownership history or identification marks that proved without a doubt that grumpy knew this was his car.
JL8Jeff
All

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:11:39 am »

I figured there must be some form of id that Grumpy could identify from his modifications to the body.  But the fact that most of the firewall/floors/front end were removed after he raced it would make it even more difficult.  So the "body in white" that the manufacturers sold to racers had no form of id stamped into them?  I guess that makes sense since they were going to be race cars and no warranty or registration/title requirements existed.  So the car has been restored back to the configuration it was when Grumpy raced it in the 70-73 time frame?

00 Camaro SS
Stefano
All

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 08:07:04 pm »

I had the opportunity to inspect this Historic original GJ race car prior to restoration. The chain of ownership from GJ thru other racer owners, to the current owner is fully documented. The car had changes and updates performed over the years, but was returned to as raced by GJ condition.

a2race

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 07:15:26 pm »

as far as dave strickler's car is concerned that's the #7 toy.....but it wasn't raced as grump's car very much....more like a test car.....the 69 was #6 and the 70 1/2 pro stocker was #8......here's a very rare shot of the #7 car......
  this is a VERY interesting thread for me as i am a HUGE GJ fan....i have a bunch of pics from various cars to ad's and so on from/of him......i have even thought about doing a clone of his 68 nova with my car....LOL...adam

* GT VII.jpg (90.06 KB, 501x454 - viewed 3079 times.)
a2race

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 07:22:20 pm »

grump will verify cars for $1500, as so im told.....a friend of mine restored the "old reliable II" 62 bel air, and they needed grump to verify the car.....which he did when he told them the exact measurements of the holes for the tach mount.....and some other measurements i won't get into....for various reasons...LOL....he has a few cars locally that were once tuned/owned by him.....however there's an old guy who just lives south of canton who has the original "monster mash" 55 chevy that GJ made very well known, and the old codjer is restoring the car back to SHOWROOM condition.....boy if i could EVER get my hands on THAT one.....adam
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:20:23 pm »

Adam, that is the picture I have been wanting to post but my scanner is down. It is from SS&DI and there is a great article about the changes coming forth in Pro Stock. That is the same car in the pictures above with a repaint, correct? Dunno† †Notice the L88 hood,† if I am not mistaken that hood was one of the two or three GM prototype steel L88 hoods (note no hood pins) as one of them ended up on Ebay a few years ago and went for big $$$. The seller claimed it came from Grumpy's shop.† The Grump had a fiberglass version of it on the Pro Stocker with a forward facing scoop mounted on top of it, similar to the A & A Channel Ram turned around backwards. The July 70 Hot Rod shows this setup on the car and it was deemed illegal by NHRA shortly after its debut, not sure of exact race. Thanks for posting the picture..........................RatPack............................

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
sam
All

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 12:30:22 pm »

Couple things.....I don't believe Stricklers 70 camaro car ever had anything to do with Grump. I don't believe Grump even did the motors for him then. They may have parted company around that time??? Jenkins 70 car (Mike Guariese's) went to Zul and I think also Dennis Ferrera before becoming a bracket car. Jenkins was not real competitive with the 70 car and built the small block vega as soon as he could. I can't remember how long Jenkins ran the 70 car off hand. I will have to look it up. About the 1955 chevy monster Mash, Years and years ago they said it went to the crusher. Don't know for sure but I believe the original car is long gone. You can maybe ask Bill Spanakos he still runs Stock Eliminator in DIV.1. Mike Strickler is still very active with his mother in this sport. They could shed some light on the Dave Strickler Pro Stock camaros. Jerry MacNeish is a good source for Strickler info also.† Sam
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 02:49:38 pm »

sam, Dave was still with Grumpy through the 70 season as he was the one driving the 70 car at Indy when the Grump lost a wheel doing a burnout in the 69 Camaro. I am now wondering if there were not two 70-71 Camaro's in the Grump camp? The pictures I have of Stricklers 71 Camaro engine compartment are identical to the ones of the Grumps 70 car shown in Hot Rod with the exception of the intake. Same number of rivets/screws holding the aluminum sheet metal to the top of the cowl on both cars.† I have emailed Mike Strickler. asking him if he can shed some light on the subject for us as to what was going on those two years. Maybe he will come over and post here...........................

As I made note of earlier about the hood on the 70 car, it was disallowed at Indy in 1970 and by that time the car had the RS front end and the tall rear spoiler was gone from the car. Was that tall spoiler the first "COPO 9796" rear spoiler on Grumps car pictured in Hot Rod?

Grumpy ran the Camaro until the end of the 71 season and then along came the Vega for 72. To me the Vega provided the shot-in-the-arm that was needed in Pro Stock for the Chevy guys, sorta like the 66 L-79 Chevy II did in Super Stock years earlier. Both cars wore out the Hemi's with high hp & small cid engines in lightweight cars! Gotta love it!............................RatPack.................

day2nova
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 03:02:58 pm »

Sam I believe you are right about the '55. I remember reading an article that Grumpy said he was the one that took the car to the crusher so the competition could not find his tricks.
a2race

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 03:20:40 pm »

Sam I believe you are right about the '55. I remember reading an article that Grumpy said he was the one that took the car to the crusher so the competition could not find his tricks.

you might be talking about the monster mash II car......the original was sold to a local guy here in ohio.....and YES it is still around.....strick and grump parted ways after the 71 season....they both had SRD build thier vegas......only strick had bill stiles tune his car instead of GJ......yes there were a total of 2 70-71 cars in the grump camp.....i believe that was the spoiler you mentioned on his car (july 1970 hot rod) but the car NEVER ran with the rear spoiler on it......seems to me that it slowed it down quite a bit.....he also leaned the front clip down to try to make it a little more aerodynamic...but it wasn't very competitive....and remember also....bruce larson rented the camaro to run pro stock as well....

* gj&ds70ps.jpg (107.66 KB, 692x579 - viewed 3024 times.)

* HOTCARSAUG71JENKINSCAMAROPS.jpg (25.61 KB, 758x335 - viewed 3008 times.)
a2race

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 03:25:08 pm »

here's a shot of the wreckage the loose wheel made for grump @ indy.....

* scan0019b.jpg (98.1 KB, 600x373 - viewed 3240 times.)
sam
All

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 03:52:42 pm »

I still don't believe Jenkins had anything to do with Stricks camaro (narrowed rear version) at all. Jenkins told me that all that spoiler stuff didn't work for him so he tore it off. I believe he changed the front end because of the big bumper to the bumperettes. (RS) He did have the GM steel hood that was sold a while back. You could probably ask Jenkins himself if you email Mike Keough at Jenkins Competition. Get Mike to ask him. I never remember 2 70-71 Jenkins camaros or 2 -1955 Monster Mash cars. But......thats me. The 55 car would be tough to prove unless of documentation. I forgot Larsen did rent Grumps camaro. I do believe the Strickler family could and probably will answer your questions. Go to York Musclecar Madness. This is a good thread! My brain is hurting!!!!
a2race

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 05:43:17 pm »

I still don't believe Jenkins had anything to do with Stricks camaro (narrowed rear version) at all. Jenkins told me that all that spoiler stuff didn't work for him so he tore it off. I believe he changed the front end because of the big bumper to the bumperettes. (RS) He did have the GM steel hood that was sold a while back. You could probably ask Jenkins himself if you email Mike Keough at Jenkins Competition. Get Mike to ask him. I never remember 2 70-71 Jenkins camaros or 2 -1955 Monster Mash cars. But......thats me. The 55 car would be tough to prove unless of documentation. I forgot Larsen did rent Grumps camaro. I do believe the Strickler family could and probably will answer your questions. Go to York Musclecar Madness. This is a good thread! My brain is hurting!!!!

well here ya go......these are pics of the monster mash I and monster mash II.......the original was white with red and light blue letters while the #2 car was white with yellow and black letters....the pic with the original MM car is taken @ dragway 42 in 65 (picture by larry davis) after it was sold here locally.......and it proves that grump DIDN'T take it to the crusher like reported before.....

* MonsterMash.jpg (98.6 KB, 504x362 - viewed 2953 times.)

* mash65.jpg (72.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2950 times.)
a2race

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 05:45:36 pm »

sorry it was ken andrus' photo.....ken worked at dragway 42 for a few years before heading off to 'nam.....still has his original 67 chevelle ss 396.......adam
day2nova
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 05:55:11 pm »

Adam
Nice pics. I'm trying to remember the story about the '55's. Now that I think about the first '55 was wrecked going to a track on a towbar and grumpy had it crushed?Huh

The guy in Canton needs his head walloped for putting the car back to original.

sam
All

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 07:07:10 pm »

Nice pictures Adam!  Don't remember 2 cars though. Well that is my problem.  Thanks,  Sam
strick

'67 Camaro, 350, Jerico 4 speed, 10.748 @ 124.9mph

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 07:49:33 pm »

Hi, Everyone

This is an interesting thread.

I had thought My Dad only had a 70 Camaro but I found multiple magazine articles recently, talking about his new 71 Camaro. So I think he had 2, 2nd. gen Camaros. I know my father still drove Grumpís cars in 70' & 71' despite getting the engines for the "Old Reliable" cars from Booth-Arons. I have seen video footage from York US-30 in 1970 and my dad was driving Grumpís 69 Camaro, pro stock car and Jenkins was driving the 70í Grumpyís toy. When they showed a shot of the pits, sitting in front of my dads rig was a 70í Camaro in white (no lettering). So it seems like my dadís 70í camaro was not finished yet.

I hope this helps, unfortunately I was only 3-4 years old at the time

Mike Strickler
1967 Camaro
350, Jerico 4 speed
10.748 @ 124.93mph

* 71 Nov Camaro2.jpg (77.59 KB, 757x600 - viewed 2965 times.)

* strickleradnatdrag.jpg (91.52 KB, 447x592 - viewed 2897 times.)
JL8Jeff
All

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 07:53:19 pm »

Great pictures guys!  Did the 70-71 cars have metal front ends or fiberglass front ends?  You can see the differences in the pictures of the non RS front end and SS grill and fender emblems vs the RS split bumper front with parking lights and all.  The RS front looks like it's a metal front end.

00 Camaro SS
strick

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 09:16:24 pm »

This photo shows a "A&A Fiberglass" sticker on the fender? Huh

Mike Strickler
1967 Camaro
350, Jerico 4 speed
10.748 @ 124.93mph

* gt-6-side.jpg (85.81 KB, 890x600 - viewed 2922 times.)

* 71 Nov Camaro.jpg (55.2 KB, 757x600 - viewed 2833 times.)
strick

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 09:24:06 pm »

This shows the inner edge of the fender. Can anyone tell from this if it is fiberglass?

Mike Strickler
1967 Camaro
350, Jerico 4 speed
10.748 @ 124.93mph

* 71 Nov pit.jpg (56.91 KB, 757x600 - viewed 2815 times.)
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 04:56:52 am »

Mike, Welcome aboard! Thank you for posting those pictures. I have never seen the 71 car with the RS nose but those are two great shots of the car. The front end does appear to be fiberglass, at least the nose & header panel area is. Notice that there are not any panel lines where the normal RS rubber bumper & grill surround bolts to the header and lower valance panels. More than likely it is the one piece design that A&A offered. As for the fenders, no way to really tell as I have seen some of the early fiberglass parts duplicate the stock part exactly right down to any imperfections. By 71 everyone was running fiberglass front clips so I would bet the fenders and inner fenders are also fiberglass.

Your dad was one of the best, if not THE best, when it came to shifting a 4spd. He was sooo quick that it sounded like an automatic. He is greatly missed in the drag racing world....................RatPack....................

* strickler camaro ps rs nose 001 close-up.JPG (13.57 KB, 287x190 - viewed 2813 times.)

* strickler camaro ps rs nose 002. close-up.JPG (22.09 KB, 304x350 - viewed 2775 times.)

sam
All

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:59 am »

Hi Mike and welcome. I believe at that point the fronts were glass. I met you last year at Maple Grove that day with Jerry MacNeish. See you at York.  Thanks for sharing!  Sam
JL8Jeff
All

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 05:55:32 am »

Some of these pictures look like different RS front ends.  The last couple you can see the RS nose surround looks molded in and there's no lower chin spoiler area.  The picture Alan posted farther up shows actual parking lights, a separate RS nose front piece and some molded in chin spoiler.  So I'm getting a little confused.  Was Grumpy's Toy VI a 1970 Camaro raced by Jenkins or Strickler?  And was Grumpy's Toy VII a 1970 Camaro raced by Jenkins?  Or was Strickler's car a completely different car from Jenkins altogether?  I think I'm seeing 3 different cars in these pictures.

00 Camaro SS
strick

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 06:16:23 am »

Some of these pictures look like different RS front ends. The last couple you can see the RS nose surround looks molded in and there's no lower chin spoiler area. The picture Alan posted farther up shows actual parking lights, a separate RS nose front piece and some molded in chin spoiler. So I'm getting a little confused. Was Grumpy's Toy VI a 1970 Camaro raced by Jenkins or Strickler? And was Grumpy's Toy VII a 1970 Camaro raced by Jenkins? Or was Strickler's car a completely different car from Jenkins altogether? I think I'm seeing 3 different cars in these pictures.

The Strickler Old Reliable cars were completely different cars. But my father still drove Jenkins stuff also. Can someone tell me what was different between a 70 and 71 camaro?

Thanks,

Mike
day2nova
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 06:40:38 am »

Mike
Do you know the whereabouts of your Dad's 70's Camaros and the Vega?
JL8Jeff
All

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 07:08:03 am »

So Dave Strickler had his own 70/71 Camaro and Jenkins had 2 different 70/71 Camaros or just 1?  Mike, the 70/71 Camaros are pretty much the same with no major differences other than the tall 3 piece spoiler not being available on the 70 until very late in the model year.

00 Camaro SS
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 07:54:29 am »

Mike, when it comes to a race car there really isn't much different from 70-73 when the RS nose is used, but the only differences in the std front end are the grilles. The 70-71 have smaller "egg crate" sections with the 72-73 models having a grill with noticably larger sections (see picture). I was referring to your Dad's car as a 71 as I have not found any 1970 season pictures of an "Old Reliable" Pro Stock Camaro anywhere. The pictures shown above all seem to be from the 1971 season, now yours may say otherwise.

Jeff, the Grumps car #6 is a 69, #7 & #8 are both 70-1/2 Camaros. Dave drove both the #7 & #8 cars during the 70 season, at least his name is on the #7 car. Adam makes a good point about the #7 car not being raced that much and was a test car, I haven't seen any pictures of that car being raced. I wonder if the #7 car actually became #8? Both had the same hood, #8 originally had a std front end with the RS bumpers, then it was converted to a regular RS front end with the funky looking chin spoiler. The #8 car appeared at Indy with funky chin spoiler, no rear spoiler, the L88 hood (which was changed at the race) to a stock hood with the Grump Lump, with Dave driving.

Another thought is if the #7 car was not the #8 car, could it have become Dave's car in 1971? Look at my first picture showing the decklid of Dave's car. It looks like it had a spoiler and it was removed and duct tape was used to cover the holes. The #7 car has a short rear spoiler in the SS&DI picture, not the three piece style as used on #8. Confusing itsn't it?.................Keep posting pictures if you have them guys.......................RatPack.......................

* 72camaro.jpg (16.92 KB, 400x208 - viewed 2737 times.)

JL8Jeff
All

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 08:55:04 am »

Here's a picture from the cover of Hot Rod July 1970 and you can see the split bumper non RS front end and the tall spoiler.

Then there is this picture of Strickler racing but it has a real RS front end with the funny chin spoiler and you can still see the tall rear spoiler.

Then we have the real RS front end with a stock style large front spoiler with no rear spoiler.

The caption under this picture on the website I found it says this is really Grumpy's Toy VII.

I'm just wondering if these are all the same car, Grumpy's Toy VIII or did he really have 2 different 70/71 style cars.  Which car did Larson end up driving for a while, the VIII car?

00 Camaro SS
strick

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 09:50:36 am »

These photos show my dad driving Grumpy's toy 7? at Indy in 70. I will look but I think my dads 70 camaro was built later in the season. This might explain why he drove the Grumps car. the 70's didn't come out till 70-1/2 so that could explain why the 70 car was driven well into '71 and the '71 car into '72 till the Vega was ready.
I also find that old magazines are months behind on the reporting, this makes it hard to place a date on some of the photos.

* dave_stickler_70_indy.jpg (49.13 KB, 576x384 - viewed 3045 times.)

* dave_strickler_70_indy.jpg (66.31 KB, 725x505 - viewed 2796 times.)
X33
All

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 10:07:35 am »

Wow what a great thread.

Mike the picture quality is outstanding on those photos. Looks like they were taken yesterday. Very cool!

- Darren
sam
All

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 10:24:57 am »

That is why I think Grump just made changes back and forth on one car. Dave I still think had his own car built till the vega was ready. He probably drove grumps car till his 70-71 camaro was ready. Then to the vega. Mike G's car maybe the only 2nd. gen car Grump had??? I really don't think Bill was ever happy with the 70-71 car. I have a video of him running Sox (The Pros) at the Winternats. Car didn't look like it had any spoilers on the rear. Time to start digging deeper into the old papers. Grin
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 10:48:50 am »

DRAGSPORT

* DRAGSPORT1.JPG (134.94 KB, 1180x1737 - viewed 2691 times.)

strick

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 12:29:21 pm »

more photos 71

* PS-BGJ7101.jpg (34.76 KB, 540x436 - viewed 2952 times.)

* PS-BGJ7102.jpg (36.72 KB, 550x442 - viewed 2981 times.)
strick

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 12:36:42 pm »

1 more

* scan0031.jpg (202.45 KB, 687x692 - viewed 2688 times.)
day2nova
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 12:42:11 pm »

Regarding the funny looking front spoiler there is a very famous photo of your Dad trimming the spoiler with a hacksaw. The photo has been republished over the years in numerous magazines. The blurb under neath the photo said the spoiler was hurting the ET.

Not sure why the spoiler was not just unbolted. Apparantly they thought a mini spoiler was of some help or rules.
copo69
All

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:51 pm »

I think some of the confusion about 2 cars is coming from the 2 different noses on the car.  The car first had the steel nose with std trim and the RS bumpers (Hot Rod pics) and then was changed to a fiberglass RS front end.  This is the one Strickler is seen hacksawing the spoiler on as it was molded into the nose.  On the BEEonVideo tapes Jenkins is usually driving the '69 car while Strickler is wheeling the '70 1/2 car.  It mentions something about Jenkins preferring the '69 as it left harder then the '70 1/2.  If you look at the restored '70 1/2 it has the RS nose ( urethane and heavy on a stock front) molded into the rest of the front...it's narrower than stock just like the original fiberglass front.
copo69
All

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 01:24:53 pm »

Also the pic with the L88 hood the car has the full std front with the full width bumper which was exchanged for the 2 small RS bumpers in Hot Rod pics.
sam
All

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 01:52:44 pm »

Now we are getting somewhere. Same car with new updates. Good points COPO.
JL8Jeff
All

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 03:44:54 pm »

So Grumpy named it Grumpy's Toy VII in 70 and then Grumpy's Toy VIII in 71?  There are really 3 iterations of the car if you look at the picture of GJ with the 70, 69 and 68 where the 70 has the standard 70 front end with full bumper, SS grill eblem and looks like SS fender emblems.  Then the split bumper with non RS front end and the SS emblems are all gone.  Then the split bumper RS front end which is fiberglass with the funny spoiler.  So assuming they are all the same car, it went through quite a few changes in just 1-1/2 years.  Now, is this also the car that Larson used and then Richie Zul who changed it into a 74 body style?

00 Camaro SS
a2race

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 04:44:41 pm »

again guys what a great thread......welcome to the board mike....i have chatted with you on yahoo messenger before and im the owner of the stockSSdragracing list on yahoo groups......but im STILL convinced that grump had 2 different 70 1/2 cars.....each toy had it's own number even when changes were made to the car...i.e. the 68 and 69 cars which were super stockers converted into pro stockers, so it doesn't make ANY sense that he would update a car and change the number......maybe ill get to see the old grumpy one in a few weeks when the NHRA rolls into columbus.....hopefully he's in a good mood and willing to talk.....LOL...adam
a2race

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 04:51:42 pm »

here an article on the larson rental...

* SSDIDEC72LARSONJENKINSPSCAMAROB.jpg (33.24 KB, 376x586 - viewed 2890 times.)
sam
All

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 06:41:08 pm »

Larsen, Zul and Ferrera rented or used that car. I think Dennis F. was the last person who used it before the bracket racers but not sure. I am still puzzled why Jenkins would build 2 coplete cars and not just update the 70 for 71. He may have just changed the number and put glass fenders on. But.....not sure.
strick

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 07:36:32 pm »

OK Guys,
After reading this thread today I started to question if my fathers 2nd. Gen. Camaro was a 70 or 71. This is what I found, a feature in Hot Rod Yearbook NO. 11, talking about my father back driving for himself in his new 71 Camaro! I had always thought he had a 70 Camaro
But now it sounds like he was driving for the Grump in 70.

Thanks for helping me put together a little piece of my fatherís career.

Mike Strickler   Grin

* Hot Rod Yearbook NO 11 page 220.jpg (148.67 KB, 489x1000 - viewed 2596 times.)

* Hot Rod Yearbook NO 11 page 221.jpg (124.65 KB, 418x1000 - viewed 2575 times.)
strick

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2006, 07:37:17 pm »

One more

* Hot Rod Yearbook NO 11 page 223.jpg (115.2 KB, 352x1000 - viewed 2587 times.)
copo69
All

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2006, 07:48:44 pm »

There is an article in an old Car Craft Camaro magazine that profiles the history of Grump's '70.  Dennis Ferrara ended up with the car and raced it as a A/EA.  It was really gutted by this time.  I remember seeing pics of it and everything that could be taken off the car was removed...no glass, interior or anything left. Ferrara won the Grace Cup that year and it told of the car setting in the rain on an open trailer neglected as Ferrara took off to recouperate in Martinique. Grump's stuff was never considered to be show stuff and everyone that had it beat the crap out of it.  I remember seeing Zul win his only national event, Spring Nat's in Columbus in that car and it was no real beauty, LOL.  I guess after Ferrara got rid of it, it ended up as an anonymous bracket car till being restored recently.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  Musclecars  |  Super Stock / Funny Cars (60's-70's) Info.  |  Topic: Grumpy's 70 Camaro « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length