Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 07:25:35 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Welcome to Detroit Horsepower...... the home of real American Musclecars. Proudly Sponsored by;

Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  Musclecars  |  Super Stock / Funny Cars (60's-70's) Info.  |  Topic: Mystery 70 Camaro Pro Stock? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mystery 70 Camaro Pro Stock?  (Read 5272 times)
STLGASSER

Mystery 70 Camaro Pro Stock?
« on: July 02, 2006, 12:30:10 pm »

What's up guys. Been a lurker for a long time and met Rabbit in Bowling Green last week at the Hot Rod Reunion. That's my orange '55 ex-C/Gasser parked next to Rabbit's straight axle Chevy II in the photo he posted. Anyway, old race cars are my passion and I recently picked up this 1970 Camaro drag car that I believe has some neat history and may be something special. It actually turned out to be a real Shadow Grey Z-28 car, 4-speed and radio delete. That was a nice, unexpected surprise. The car has a magnesium Ramchargers Dana 60 rear end, old four wheel race disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, parachute mount and an old square type hood scoop that has an Aero scooop 'glassed over it. It has a four link and old Koni coil-overs in the rear. The car has some very nice craftmanship and is primarily TIG welded but there are areas where the bracket racers 'updated' the cage with stick welding. Besides the tubs, the car retains the original floorpan from the firewall to the back bumper. Oh yeah, the car is swiss-cheesed in lots of hidden places like the door hinges and under the door sill plates. The car has been many colors in it's life. This site seems to be quite adept at identifying old race cars so any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the single master cylinder is interesting because that was a Grumpy trick I've noticed in photos of his cars. Thanks guys.

* 03-22-06_1948.jpg (37.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1870 times.)

* 03-12-06_1352.jpg (11.89 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1875 times.)
Report to moderator   Logged
STLGASSER

Re: Mystery 70 Camaro Pro Stock?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 12:37:43 pm »

more photos

* a1.jpg (25.67 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1864 times.)

* a3.jpg (21.2 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1857 times.)
STLGASSER

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 12:38:50 pm »

firewall photo

* a2.jpg (25.84 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1854 times.)
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

Cocked, locked, and ready to ROCK!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:55:51 pm »

Neat car. What colors have you found under the paint that is on the car now? As for the single resevoir master cylinder, that wasn't really a Grumpy item only. In AHRA Super Stock (Pro Stock for NHRA) they did not require from brakes hence the reason for a single resevioir master cylinder. However, they did have to run a parachute anytime there were no front brakes. Rear brakes were always required. I see that your car has front brakes and I assume there are rears there also.Dick Harrells 69 ZL-1 car ran without front brakes at AHRA tracks and the parachute on the rear.  To use your car in legal competition today, that master cylinder would have to be changed to a dual unit to control both fromt and rear brakes, or there would have to be two single resevoir master cylinders mounted; one to control each system.
Keep us updated with any information you may find...............RatPack.............

If you want, you can send me a private message and I will go back through my old photos to see if there is something that might come close to what you have.........

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
STLGASSER

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 01:24:57 pm »

The brakes on the car are all functional. There's a "T" in the line shortly after the master cylinder that goes to the rear brakes with one of those vintage early '70's Kelsey Hayes proportioning valves plumbed in. Believe me, if I decide to run the car, that single master cylinder would be quickly replaced! You can still see the original Shadow Grey in some small areas and there is also some remnants of orange paint under the current white/red. The paint scheme on the car is interesting because there seems to have been several early '70 Camaro drag cars with a similar side stripe. Butch Leal's and Albert Clark's, for example. I'd like to cut off that Aero scoop and see what kind of scoop that really is. Joe Satmary's Gumout Camaro has been mentioned and I've found a few photos of it but no concrete details yet. It was solid orange. Here's a couple more photos of Albert Clark's Modified Production car and an unknown Altered class Camaro that look really close but not quite.

* 03-31-06_1639.jpg (32.38 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1820 times.)
STLGASSER

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 02:28:21 pm »

Here is Albert Clark's well known Modified Production car. I'm pretty sure this car survived intact as it was in the Super Chevy Indy swap meet about 6-7 years ago with the original paint still intact. Had been turned into Pro Street car but was mostly intact still.

* 07-02-06_1528.jpg (35.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1863 times.)
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 06:12:57 pm »

That first picture you have posted is probably not the same car as the hood pin locations are different, but they could have been changed. I have the same picture of Clark's car but the stripe is different and it has a 72-73 grill in it along with the full bumper. Those two items could have been changed also.

Look into earlier paint schemes that are present under the white paint that is there now. If you block sand the car with 400 grit wet, then some of the paint that would have been under decals or lettering will sand off last due to aginig of the paint over the years. Doesn't work everytime, but it has worked for me on numerous occasions. This is tedious work, but you have got to do what you can to verify a drag cars pedigree. Don't make the mistake of "guessing" or "assuming" which car you have. Find out which one it was and then restore it that way if you wish. Ron Norman has been going through this same process with his 68 Camaro funny car. It will pay off in the long run...................RatPack.....................

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
STLGASSER

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 11:40:17 pm »

Thanks RatPack. You've got a sharp eye as I pretty much ruled out those two similar paint scheme cars also because of hood pin location. As far taking a guess and making a claim on the car's identity without 100% positive identification, I would never do such a thing. Especially after that "certain Funnycar that we're all thinking of" drama that enfolded awhile back. Hey, you mentioned Ron Norman, I met him two years ago when he picked up a Turbo 475 transmission in Wisconsin and delivered it to St. Louis for me. A great guy to go out of his way for a stranger like he did. That's rare these days! If you talk to him, tell him Hello for me and another thanks again.
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 09:13:17 am »

I see the car is for sale.

rawmusclecars

The Poison Dart

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 08:12:40 am »

Here are some more photos does anyone recognize anything? Any help would be great.

thanx richard wies

trunk detail
rawmusclecars

The Poison Dart

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 08:13:52 am »

more photos

rear 4 link
rawmusclecars

The Poison Dart

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 08:14:52 am »

more

more of 4 link
rawmusclecars

The Poison Dart

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 08:17:08 am »

more

dana 60 rear axle w/ ramcharger magnesium center ans summer brothers axles
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:02 am »

Looks like it is for sale again, but the front clip has gone MIA.  Scratch Chin Why?  Scratch Head..................RatPack......................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280214835577

rawmusclecars

The Poison Dart

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:28 am »

Still no info on the car. I need the garage space bad. I have not gotten any info, so I cant see putting the cost into a race car or back to stock. The front clip ie hood and one peice nose is falling apart, I had plans to get a nos one.
Did the math not a smart use of money right now plus I have big tuition bills for my kids...

Thanks Richard
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 11:13:54 am »

Did you ever do an NICB on the vin?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  Musclecars  |  Super Stock / Funny Cars (60's-70's) Info.  |  Topic: Mystery 70 Camaro Pro Stock? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length