Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:12:37 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Welcome to Detroit Horsepower...... the home of real American Musclecars. Proudly Sponsored by;

Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  Musclecars  |  Drag Racing History  |  Topic: Walley Booth,Rat Pack cars 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walley Booth,Rat Pack cars  (Read 7819 times)
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
Walley Booth,Rat Pack cars
« on: April 12, 2004, 09:15:32 am »

Does anyone remember Walley Booth,very well known back then,ran SS/E with the 68 then 69 Camaro.Actually th 68 was made into a 69.He was the original owner of this car,bought new from Trumble Chevrolet Detroit Mich.Car was original a 396/375 M22 4:88 68 SS Camaro.Walley also worked for Diamond Racing Engines that was a Sponser of the Jim Hayter 69 Camaro 427 car.I had a long conversation with Wally last week,he's alive and well and was a real nice guy to talk to. Grin Dan
Report to moderator   Logged
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

Re:Walley Booth,Rat Pack cars
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 09:34:35 am »

Dan, Troy (rat pack) does he used to race down here a Bristol all the time.

MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 10:34:01 am »

Tim,Cool,the famous MIDWEST 68 Camaro also was sponsered by Walley Booth,in fact I have the ad on this car...Dan
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 10:46:08 am »

This pic is from Geoff Stunkard.

MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 10:52:46 am »

He also has this one listed as a 427.

MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 10:59:08 am »

Thanks Tim for posting that! By the way,Walley told me Terry Cook from Car Craft Magazine coined the Phrase Rat Pack to Walleys car because of the 3 people  involved in his car,him,Nick Plantis and Butch,just like Dean Martin,Sammy Davis Jr and Frank Sinartia.Just a little triva I found out..Dan
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 11:05:07 am »

Tim,I wonder if he sponsered that Bill Allen or was the owner/driver of it.I know Walley had his own engine shop with Aron,I'll find out..very interesting...Dan
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 11:48:36 am »

Dan it was out of Kansas City Mo.

sam
All

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 04:46:55 pm »

Booth-Aarons Racing Engines. Wally ran a SS 1967 chevelle big block in the old days. Also ran a 440-6 pack Road Runner or Super-Bee back in 1969. His claim to real fame was when he cut the AMC heads in half and made a set of real good flowing Pro Stock heads for his AMC Hornet. That car flew. His other car was the hornet of Maskins and Kanners. Of course you heard of Dick Maskins. (DART) Wally booth was a pioneer like Jenkins. I guess before Paul Blevins made it big, he was the #2 chevy behind The Grump. Booth helped Paul Mercurie set a lot of records also. The white 1967 camaro in the picture is the Grumps old car. Kimball still owns it and has restored to the days of Jenkins as a SS/C car.   Sam
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 07:32:32 pm »

Just found a freaking neat old article on the Wally Booth 68 Camaro,shows them changing it into a 69!!! This I found in one of the few magazines I bought today,pictures are awesome,never thought I would find a original article like this,Scott I need you to post this for Everyone to see,will send it to you. They even changed the dash to a 69,unbelievable!!!!!  Grin Dan
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

Cocked, locked, and ready to ROCK!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 08:54:51 am »

Dan, What magazine was that article in?..................RatPack.............

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 09:35:43 am »

Troy,I'll send you a PM...Dan
Scott Rabbit
Detroit Horsepower Admin.
Administrator
Full time GURU

Modified? no-- Personalized? yes-- copied? oh yeah

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 04:08:04 pm »

Here's the article for you Dan.

Those that can't lead must always get the HECK out of the way and resort to follow.
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 12:41:33 pm »

Well Guys I was gonna keep this a secret till I got the final word from the owner.Just got off the phone with him,turns out he decided he is gonna keep the car,since its been in the family since 1982.This is about the 68 to 69 Walley Booth Rat Pack Camaro.I searched and searched and finally 2 weeks ago I found the car!! When I talked o the current owner and asked if I could see it,he said when, I said I'm leaving in 15 minutes!!I only mentioned this car to Tim L at first,because there was a chance for me to buy it,lots of $$$ he wanted and it needed proper restoration,which cost more $$$.The owner thanked me for lighting a fire under his feet and putting him on track to restoring it to it's original glory!!I thanked him for showing me the car and he thanked me for being honest and so helpful.His decission to keep the car makes sense since his brother owned it and now he does,in the family since 82!!I know the complete owner history and talked to 2 previous owners,one being Walley Booth many times.He was amazed on the at things I told him that still exist on the car that he never even noticed that helped connect it to the Walley Booth car.He has pictures from Earl M who was the 2nd owner of the car.I wished him the best of luck and said let me know if you need any help,keep in touch,update me now and then,he said no problem.By the way I took plenty of pictures for those wondering....Dan  
COPO9737
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 12:49:45 pm »

Dan, its ashame you were not able to obtain the car but it is nice to hear that it will be restored to its original glory! It would be a neat car for the "new" Forge Show Grin Grin Grin
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 12:50:37 pm »

Great find Dan to bad you couldn't have bought it yourself.Have him bring it next year just the way it is..Again great find. Grin

MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 03:55:54 pm »

Tim,Tom,Actually I did invite him to next years show in Nashville,knew you would approve Tim....By the way things are in the works,Walley will get to see and touch his car in person shortly,with the person who converted it from a 68 to a 69,Yes Walley told me he's still alive and kicking,how do like those apples.... Grin Grin Grin Shocked Dan
COPO9737
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2004, 04:02:03 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Clint_69
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

The ultimate Super Stock Fan!

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2004, 09:54:04 pm »

Holy crap! You really found the car?Huh What a historic find Dan. I can not believe this stuff is still coming out of the wood work nearly 40 years later. Tell us more about the current condition Dan. Good work!
yenko_nova

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2004, 05:12:42 am »

Cool find/story Dan! Don't feel bad about not obtaining the car. Finding out the history/owners/car can be just as rewarding! Post some pics!!!
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2004, 07:38:40 am »

Clint,Still retains the original Dana rear that Walley put in,still has the original multi leafs,but changed to mono.Has original roll bar,but not in car,updated with new roll cage to pass tech.It still retains the original one piece fiberglass nose.Has 2 updated fiberglass hoods but doesn't have the original one that Walley had.If you see the quarters on this car,it only has 2 louvers,just like in the pictures of the 69 Walley Booth car.It's neat to see how they seamed everything.Still has the original floor pans and firewall.If you look up underneath the dash,scrap the firewall,look inside the door hing area or scrape the door sill plate area you will find the original ralley green paint.Still has the original steering wheel found in picture above when they were converting it.I called Walley and asked when did he get this car from the Dealership he ordered it from,he said March of 68.I said very interesting,turns out I wrote down all the numbers on the manuel steering box and the date stamped on the machine surface pad is March 68!Its got a glass wind shield and special Herculite side glass.Back is lexan. I asked Walley where exactly the battery was mounted and he told me passenger side,elevated part of the trunk,next to rear quarter.Well you can see the old angle iron welded to the floor that was part of where the battery was mounted.As far as pictures,I have them,but I would love to see this car unvealed at the Forge Show in Nashville.Would that be neat or should I send a few pictures to Scott to post now,whats everyones thoughts? I also gonna try to get Rich Bernet to bring one or both Motion cars to the Forge....Dan
COPO9737
All
Full time GURU

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2004, 08:29:22 am »

It's interesting to hear of some of the things done to these cars to get them down the strip as quick as possible!
 I also had a large truck battery mounted on the passenger side of my trunk along with dual electric fuel pumps, line lock, six cylinder front coil springs, cool can, 90/10 shocks in the front, 50/50s in the back along with 5.13 gears. I even took the intake off and ground out the center plenum like the L-88s. Roll Eyes This was in 1969. The "Old" Camaro sure looks different today Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
Clint_69
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2004, 09:18:53 am »

I would love to see pics in it's current stage. I am still in amazement. It is one of my favorite cars and is significant to early Super Stock history. Way cool!
sam
All

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2004, 02:57:51 pm »

I am with you Clint!   Sam Grin
MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 08:05:34 pm »

Update,the hidden vin number is 8N410XXX !!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Dan
RPO_ZL2_SPCL_DUCTD

A 'LIL II MUCH!

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 04:36:09 pm »

HELLO TO ALL:

THE SECOND OF GEOFF'S PICS IS JENKINS '67 CAR.

THIS IS SUBSTANCIATED BY THE LANE 1/18 CAR GIVING CREDIT ON THE BOX TO ONE OF THE KIMBALL BROS.

HOPE I DID'NT  STEP OVER SOMEONE.

THIS IS SUPER!

Bob

A 'LIL II MUCH!
Clint_69
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 05:17:07 pm »

You are correct Bob.
Fhakya
All

I ate my llama!

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2004, 12:38:20 am »

Cool thread!  
Wow, Rabbit...lol, nice copyright measures on that article.

Anyways...Now, lets find this one!
Rat Pack
All
Full time GURU

Cocked, locked, and ready to ROCK!!!

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2004, 06:28:08 pm »

Fhayka, where did you get that cool picture?...................RatPack.......................

Just keep on Livin life..................L I V I N ..............................
6t9z11

Re: Walley Booth,Rat Pack cars
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2005, 06:43:51 pm »

FYI... I bought a 69 camaro that was a race car. The owner said that the car had lots of history behind it and it was a wally booth rat pack car!!! the car was very unique. It had a 427 bbc and a hemi 4 spd. dana 60 rear and real nice moroso fiberglass fenders and inner fenders and it looked like someone had replaced the rear quartes on it, but it did not matter to me. I made an appointment with wally and took the car to him on a trailer.  wally was one of my heros along with paul mercure ( check mate camaro). wally looked at my 69 for about an hour and said that this is his work and it was a twin built to run D/Altered for the team of Goth & Gugowski ? I spoke with gugowski and he said  he had tons of photos and other stuff. I offered the car to wally but he turned it down. I sold the car 7 years ago ( very bad mistake )  and i lost track of it. any info about the car will be nice. It was light blue with super trick wheels.
MUSCLECARMAGMAN
Global Moderator
Full time GURU

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2005, 07:24:49 pm »

Read this thread about 9 post ago.

MOTIONHARRELLYENKO

Email
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 07:49:21 pm »

6t9z11,Welcome to the site,talked to Walley many times and yes he told me about the guy years ago that draged a 69 Camaro out to see him for inspection,Not the car though.Walley told me his car was not found until recently,this guys had it since 1982.We know entire owner history,which also matches.Theres only "one" person I shared these pictures with that I personally took of the Wally Booth Rat Pack car and he is a member of this site.Do you have detailed pictures of the car you had? Dan
68RSSS396

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 02:15:46 am »

Here Booth & Arons
68RSSS396

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 02:18:36 am »

Here is Hayter's Car

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Detroit Horsepower Forum Home to real American Musclecars.  |  Musclecars  |  Drag Racing History  |  Topic: Walley Booth,Rat Pack cars « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length